- The computer in your home is one of thousands that is managed by our Tech Department.
- This “management” includes setting permissions on the computer and sending updates via the Internet.
- Some of these updates are small and light and will go unnoticed while others are more intensive and will require a restart of the computer.
- We feel it is vital that all students and families embrace that restarting your laptop is a necessary task at PALCS.
Computer updates come in two forms.
- Updates to the software and settings managed by PALCS.
Examples are updates to web browsers and the Zoom program. You will know an update is occurring when you see a window like this appear:
Updates will first download and then install. During this process, you are free to continue to work on your computer in other programs.
There will be times when a restart is required to finalize the update.
- Updates to the operating system - these are known as Windows Updates.
Window 10 will notify you when an update is required. You should get a message like the one shown below:
Many Windows updates require a restart. You can schedule a time for the restart to occur or do it immediately.